Wednesday, February 5, 2014

AC Wild (Bulldozer) - FETU # 7 - 1989


When my laptop bit the dust back in March or April or whenever the Hell of last year, I was working on a transcription of a piece on Italian kinda-black metallers Bulldozer from issue # 7 of the famed, primarily thrash- and hardcore-oriented Japanese 'zine FETU (Fatal Execrable Transmaniacon Undertakers - I'm pretty sure they were Napalm Death fans), published in 1989.  It's easily the most nonsensical transcription I've ever done: I genuinely have no idea what AC Wild is talking about half the time.  Granted, the interviewer had his work cut out for him given that he was trying to translate responses into English via Japanese from a fellow who thinks in Italian; the results are often hilarious.  Still, it's nonetheless an enlightening read, particularly the details Wild divulges regarding his friend's suicide.  Also, the very last line reads, in reference to the momentousness of a live Bulldozer performance in Japan, "Who needs Exodus or Testament?"  Well said, well said.

AC Wild (Bulldozer) - FETU # 7 - 1989

In reading the interview, you'll no doubt notice that the album being promoted is 1989's Neurodeliri.  However, by my reckoning, the essential Bulldozer release is without contention the debut, 1985's The Day of Wrath, and it's for that album that I'm including them on Blackened Relics.  It's a motherfucker of a record, throwing the first Bathory LP, Show No Mercy and the first couple Venom albums into a blender, dousing the mess with liquor, and then incinerating the whole unholy cocktail.  I simply cannot recommend it enough; talk about raw.  To my ears, it's just as seminal in the lineage of black metal as the prior Bathory and Sodom's In the Sign of Evil.

Bulldozer - The Day of Wrath - 1985


 I'd also like to take this moment to assure you all that this album cover is one of the only times that pink will ever appear in this project.


Æon

No comments:

Post a Comment