Monday, February 17, 2014

New Format

At the outset of this project, I insisted on manually transcribing every interview I posted: this was the way it was done on the fan sites of old, and in the interest of maintaining a thematic appearance - all black background, all white text - this was how I was going to it.  I made a big stink about maintaining spacing and punctuation and grammatical errors and all that noise.  However, as I thought about the reasons behind such anal retention - accuracy, preservation, etc. - it dawned on me that it doesn't get any more accurate than a copy of the source itself. 

From now on, all interview .pdfs will include scans from the 'zines where formerly there were just text transcriptions.  However, I'm still going to make them black with white text, because that's how I want to read things and that's how I think black metal-oriented things should look.  Other than that, they'll all be exactly as they originally appeared in their respective 'zines of publication.  You'll also notice a sort of introductory cover page with band logo, publication information, and any relevant notes from me: this, as I see it, is at once a necessity and also part of the bigger picture of where I want this project to go, which will be revealed in time.

I should note that interviews with no scanned source on my end, like the Emperor (Mortiis) interview from Transylvanian Damnation or the Darkthrone (Fenriz) interview from Daemonium Aeturnus that's coming up real soon, won't be changed.  This is because they are copied from old, long-dead fan sites, and I have yet to come across them in any other format, neither physically nor electronically.  Therefore, they're going to remain exactly as they are and you'll just have to take my word that their content is as close to the original source - which will always be cited - as I can make it.

While I convert all of the old interviews that are already posted to the new format, those of you who frequent this place - I know you're out there, because I consistently rack up pageviews - may find that a link to a file temporarily doesn't work.  Don't worry: it's only because I'm in the middle of removing the old one and replacing it with the new.


Æon

No comments:

Post a Comment